Shelburne Farms cows love the fall foliage

Shelburne Farms cows love the fall foliage

Monday, November 8, 2010

Ferry Ride

Weekends mean emergency duty.  Emergency duty means one never knows where one might be or what one might see.  On this cold late October morning it meant a ferry ride across Lake Champlain to a farm near Ticonderoga, NY to see a sick cow. 


Lake Champlain ferry with the Crown Point Memorial in the background
Almost a year ago during a blinding snow squall our closest link to New York State dropped into the lake in a controlled demolition.  The nearly century old bridge had been found to be unsafe due to severe cracking in the cement of it's piers.  Around six weeks later a free ferry was established to bridge the gap until a new bridge is opened.  Since we have a few farms on the New York side of Lake Champlain, we get to take an occasional ferry ride. The last autumn leaves mixed with a cold, light rain as I chatted with a former client who was on today's ferry crew.  I must admit, the forced down time can be relaxing, sometimes fun and often scenic.

Ready for surgery

Today's call was to examine a cow that had stopped eating and dropped in milk production.  The farm's hired man had already listened to her and diagnosed a left diaplaced abomasum, commonly referred to by farmers as a "twisted stomach".  Although I knew this hired man was pretty good at diagnosing a twisted stomach, he is sometimes hard to take.  He's never at a loss for words and always ready to offer his view of the situation.

"It's a twisted stomach, ain't it, doc?"

"Yup, she should be OK for surgery"

"I knew it was.  I was right, wadn't I? Already gave her a bottle for ketosis.  I coulda been a vet, you know."  Off he went, toting buckets of milk to feed a bawling line of calves.

He was right as he usually was.  His expertise could only extend so far, though.  This condition required an operation.  A cows abomasum (her fourth stomach) normally lies low and to the right of her midline. When it displaces it fills up with gas and floats up like a balloon, usually to her left side.  This is a common condition in dairy cows and it is our most frequently performed surgical procedure. 

For the surgery, the cow is sedated and novocaine in injected so that her entire side is numbed.  She is shaved and scrubbed, then from her right side I reach around pull the stomach back into it's proper place.  Everything is sewn down so she can't displace again. The whole procedure takes 45 minutes to an hour and she is usually eating and making milk by the next day. 
New Bridge Pylons

Today's surgery was no exception.  Everything went as planned, my patient cooperated beautifully, and soon after a conversation with the hired man about gagging calves I was in the truck for the ride back to Vermont.  My emergency pager was ringing and instead of a relaxing boat ride I had been speaking with a worried owner about my next emergency case.  Our ferry docked, the gate came up, and my big white truck disembarked toward my next weekend call.

2 comments:









  1. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346























    i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is always beautiful when you be with the true person you love. For almost a year my lover had broke up with me and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very little kind and Great spell caster called Dr Ralph who helped me to bring back my lover to me and today I am happy together and very grateful for what you have done for me, He can also help you cast spell like Love spells, Money spells, business improvement spell, Cure for any kind of disease and sickness, lottery winning spell and many others. You can contact him on his Email him via Ralphspellsolution@gmail.com or whatsApp on. +2347037816417.

    ReplyDelete