Shelburne Farms cows love the fall foliage

Shelburne Farms cows love the fall foliage

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Over the Mountain and other fall adventures in Vermont

Although most of our patients are cows, we do occasionally get to see some other creatures.  Among the most interesting are alpacas.

Alpacas are South American camelids, relatives of llamas and developed from their wild cousin the vicuna.  They have been domesticated in South America for thousands of years, but the first alpacas didn't arrive in North America until around 30 years ago.  My first experience with these unusual animals was in the early 90's on the farm of Pyllis and Alex Kroll.  Alex had a distinguished career on Madison Avenue, and while working at Young and Rubicam was the man who joined Jello and Bill Cosby.  When I worked with him he was head of the ad council - the guys who bring all those public service announcements.  Phyllis bred and showed champion English Pointer dogs.  Our beloved dog Max was a puppy from her kennel.  The Krolls live in a beautiful estate on the shores of Lake Champlain in Charlotte.

The Krolls were ahead of the alpaca curve and we learned a lot about these animals while they maintained a herd.  Ever the forward thinking businessman, Alex Kroll sold his herd of alpacas at the height of their popularity and value.  Alpacas hit their peak about 10 - 12 years ago with many gentleman farmers entering  the industry.  In the past few years, though, the market for animals and breeding services has been pretty flat, almost collapsing during the recession.  Lately, however, there seems to be a bit of renewed life.


These alpacas have the best view in Vermont
Many of our alpaca clients have sold their animals during this downturn, though some have remained in the business.  Camelid associations still have annual shows and it was this for reason, vaccinating the herd and examining them for their show papers, that I made a trip over the Appalachian Gap to Fayston to see Craig's herd.  Craig is a Ph.D marine biologist who has traveled around the world and has worked in oceans from Indonesia to the Caribbean.  Craig's sister is a reporter for NBC who often appears on the Today show.  Now that's a high achieving family.  I once met her in the barn but I didn't recognize her even wearing her network parka.  So much  for my celebrity acumen.  On the other hand, that's probably why she vacations in Vermont.  Lately, Craig has been assessing the biology of the waters around private islands owned by the 1% in the Caribbean.  Hey, it's a living.

Top of the Gap
Approaching the Appalacian Gap
















Craig recently married a ski instructor who teaches budding Olympians at the Green Mountain Valley School in Warren.  He moved his animals from a barn in Shoreham to the top of a mountain at the end of the road with a sweeping view of the Mad River Valley.  In order to get to his farm I have to cross the Green Mountains at the Appalachian Gap, the same route I take in the wintertime on my way to the slopes.  Craig's farm is one of the very few farms we see on the other side of the mountain.  It was a grey fall day but the foliage was beautiful and made the trip worthwhile.  The trip took me by a couple of ski areas, whetting my appetite for snow.
 
Top of Bragg Hill with Sugarbush resort behind
 




Speaking of mountains, last week I was able to hitch a ride on a packing tractor as it compressed corn silage in a bunker silo at the Vorsteveld farm.  This pile of corn on one of my largest dairies is often called Mount Vorsteveld by the locals.  This year's corn crop is exceptional and the pile is as high as I've ever seen it.  When it's complete it should hold between 10 - 12,000 tons of corn silage.  Watching the corn fill the bunker silos is as much a signature of fall for me as the falling leaves.  The corn must be carefully spread and compressed so that it ferments completely making for a stable, nutritious feed for dairy cows.  The Vorstevelds are renown for their forage quality and that quality is reflected in the excellent health and high production of their 
herd. Watching the pile grow is like looking at a river of milk.  It's a beautiful thing.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm loving the revived blog & the beautiful pics from the homeland of VT! (as I'm living far away over the ocean in Scotland). Incidentally, I spent a week on an alpaca farm in northern Scotland last summer (for school) -- great animals & got to see a cria being born!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Still enjoying your zucchini chutney recipe.

      Delete








  2. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346























    i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete